If you're in hospital, the Epworth team will do regular rounds to check if you need anything and do observations. We encourage you to use that opportunity to ask for help rather than reaching for things, etc. Please also use the call-bell in your room if there's anything we can do to help between rounds.
Otherwise, you can reduce your risk of a fall generally by:
- Using a cane, or walking frame.
- Wearing rubber-soled shoes with better grip.
- Wearing low-heeled shoes.
- Keeping rooms free from clutter.
- Using a non-slip bathmat in your shower or bath and on the floor beside it.
- Ensuring pathways and stairs are well lit.
- Installing grab bars and handrails on stairs, near the bathroom and other high risk areas.
- Moving items you use regularly to low, easy to reach places to reduce the amount of times you need to reach or climb.
You can also improve your balance through simple exercises and things like tai chi or yoga. Please talk to your healthcare team about what might be recommended for you.