There are a number of misconceptions about parenting that exist in our culture. Some we've built up through stereotypes and myths that have been passed on as we grew up:
- Mothers should be calm, grateful and confident.
- Mothering is intuitive and comes naturally.
- Childbirth is to be embraced and celebrated in its entirety.
- Mothers bond with their baby immediately.
- A mother is selfish if she expresses her own needs.
- A good mother is always available to her child.
- Couples always agree on approaches to parenting.
- Birthing a healthy baby brings closure to all prior pregnancy-related losses.
If the gap between your expectations and the reality of parenthood is negatively affecting your emotional and mental wellbeing and impacting your day-to-day functioning for more than two weeks, then it’s time to seek help from a trusted healthcare professional.