Gastro or 'gastroenteritis' can result from improper food handling. Following the steps below may help to improve your food handling:
- Wash hands before handling food.
- Clean preparation areas.
- Avoid contaminated cooked food with raw materials (pay attention to inadvertent contamination through using utensils on raw and then cooked food, or storing raw food near cooked food).
- Avoid leaving food out of the fridge for too long.
- Ensure cooking temperatures are adequate, especially for poultry and reheating (use a cooking thermometer!).
- Avoid eating out-of-date foods.