Here are some ways you can help look after your emotions while you're expecting a baby, to help you get the most out of this stage:
- Don't expect too much of yourself, take time to slow down, rest and relax.
- If you have a partner, talk to them about the difference a baby will make to your life.
- If you can, arrange for both you and your partner to be at home for the first week or two after the birth.
- Set up extra support for the first few weeks after the baby's birth.
- Talk to someone you trust about your feelings.
- Don't be afraid to ask questions when you visit your GP, obstetrician or midwife.
- Be careful what you read online - Dr Google doesn't always know best.
- If you've experienced mental health issues before, discuss this with your health professional.
Have a chat with your healthcare professional or Lifeline (13 11 14) if you need help, and always call 000 in an emergency.