People other than partners, such as parents, other family members and friends, can also be an important source of support to new parents. Some helpful tips may include:
- Spend time listening, without needing to offer solutions and advice.
- Offer to look after the baby, being mindful not to take over or be the expert.
- Offer to help with cooking and cleaning without taking over these activities.
- Encourage the use of some self-care strategies such as relaxing, eating well etc.
- Encourage the mother/father/partner to seek professional help if necessary & offer to go with them.
- Offer whatever assistance you can to support the parents.