Women with puerperal (postpartum) psychosis often experience the following symptoms:
- Erratic, unusual or extreme behaviour.
- High energy, talking quickly, unable to focus.
- Appearing confused or disorganised.
- High energy, not feeling the need for sleep.
- Feeling strong, powerful or invincible.
- Beliefs that aren't based on reality or seeing/ hearing things that aren't there.
- Depressed episodes (e.g. low energy, not sleeping or eating, feeling hopeless as a mother).
Puerperal psychosis is a medical emergency, and a doctor should be contacted immediately, there's a high risk of harm to the woman and the baby.