There are a number of sports injuries that usually require immediate medical attention, including:
- Head injury: involving loss of consciousness, confusion, drowsiness, vomiting or headache.
- Neck injury: particularly neck pain, altered sensation to limbs, loss of consciousness.
- Suspected breaks: where moving the person is difficult or impossible due to pain.
- Compound breaks: where bone is perforating the skin.
- Acute pain where injured person is unable to be transported by car.
- Chest or stomach injuries where patient is pale, short of breath or in significant pain.
Always call 000 in an emergency.