Nipple shields may be useful when you have flat or inverted nipples and, despite all your efforts, your baby is unable to attach to your breast. When using nipple shields, keep in mind that:
- Good attachment is vital for the success of nipple shields.
- They mustn't be used until your milk has 'come in'.
- They mustn't be used routinely when breastfeeding.
- There's no place for nipple shields when nipples are sore or damaged.
- If you need to use a nipple shield, ongoing advice and support from a health professional is necessary.